Log in

No account? Create an account
Lochac Merchant Marine Ship's Log's Journal
[Most Recent Entries] [Calendar View] [Friends]

Below are the 5 most recent journal entries recorded in Lochac Merchant Marine Ship's Log's LiveJournal:

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007
1:20 pm
Where Chiara Stella is now
Chiara Stella is currently in Ballina. This is a test of a google maps link.


What I'd really like to be able to do is a direct post to LJ from the nav software after reading the GPS coordinates, but that could be a bit trickier.
Monday, July 23rd, 2007
7:52 pm
Hi all,

I still have plans to sail from Brisbane to Sydney leaving on the 1st or 2nd September, however the weather conditions (anyone who hasn't noticed the whole Nobby's Beach saga) recently haven't been too good.

So I'm going to leave it another couple of weeks before making a decision. I've been out offshore with some of the race crews recently and there have been some really big swells. 5 metres hasn't been uncommon. I'm not taking a new boat out in that.

So in a couple of weeks time I'll take a look at the long range weather forecast and make a decision then. If it's still looking dicey I'll leave it for a few months. If the current and winds have turned around to a more usual north/north-westerly then I'll be bringing the boat down.

So who's still interested in crewing? and I'll let you all know whether the trip is on or not by early next month.
Friday, May 18th, 2007
11:59 pm
Brisbane to Sydney
I am thinking now that this will probably be the week starting 1st September, aiming to leave Brisbane no later than Monday 3rd and getting to Sydney no later than Sunday 9th. Sydney is closed on the 7th Sep anyway (APEC public holiday) and will be in lock-down mode for most of the week prior, so it's a good time for me to shut the office down anyway and go sailing for a week. It's really only a 3-4 day trip down the coast but if we leave ourselves plenty of time then we can enjoy some of the sights.
Tuesday, May 15th, 2007
5:14 pm
Planned voyages of the HMLS Moonwalker
The journeys that I have most immediately planned are:

* Brisbane to Sydney, no date set but probably end of August. Leave Brisbane on a saturday afternoon and expect to hit Sydney the following Wednesday. Sailing down the coast is pretty easy, head offshore to hit the current and follow it down.

* Sydney to Brisbane, in time to arrive for November Crown in Toowoomba. That will be the first or 2nd weekend in November, I haven't heard an official date yet. So we leave Sydney the weekend before, or given that we have prevailing nor-westerlies at that time of year and they can be very light, the Thursday or Friday before that to give us an extra day or two. This can be a bumpier ride than the trip down -- sailing against the current and most probably against the winds.

* After crown I'm taking the boat up to the Whitsundays. Not sure about crew for that.

* Whitsundays to Sydney, end of November.

* Sydney to Lyttelton, in time for Canterbury Faire. Giving ourselves 14 - 16 days for the trip across, which we won't need all of but it would be nice to stop at Lord Howe Island or Middleton Reef for a day or so on the way over.

* Lyttelton to Sydney, return journey, depart mid Feb, stop at an island or a reef along the way and probably go via Wellington to party with Alastair and Robyn.

Once I have actual departure dates for any of the above trips I'll post them here. Either post here if you are interested or let me know via email.
Sunday, May 13th, 2007
6:52 pm
cruising crew
Well this is the first post for the Lochac Merchant Marine. Feel free to join the community and post stuff.

In the long term we will be posting trip logs of our journeys here, as well as schedules for planned journeys.

Moonwalker (the boat) officially becomes owned by the Merchant Marine on Friday 18th May.

Our current crew includes:

* Bart / Courtain.
* Brian
* Del
* Kareina
* Maeve / Jenny
* Will (from House Drakkar) / Neil
* Rurik / Ben

I will need to define a crew for the trans-tasman trip sometime after November Crown this year. Probably before the end of November. We need four people travelling in each direction. People don't have to sign up for both directions, just one will be fine. Post a comment here if you're interested in that trip.
Lochac Merchant Marine   About LiveJournal.com